Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Well, I'm here... now what?

And so it starts anew. I packed, got on a plane, landed, unpacked, spent a few days getting to grips with my new situation and now tomorrow is Monday. And I have nothing to do. OK, that's not true, I have LOTS to do, but I don't have to do any of it, and I can do it all whenever I want... there's no structure to my days anymore. This is put in contrast to Ash, who has her days planned out in a timetable and we were talking about what we were going to do tomorrow, and whether she wanted food and when, and I totally felt like I was a housewife/husband... it was a little strange.

Anyway, most important thing I have to do tomorrow: go to the bank and open a bank account. Man, I can't believe how much banks screw you in Canada, they charge you for everything!!! I mean, every withdrawal comes with a fee... that's pretty much robbery since you HAVE to have bank accounts nowadays... and I thought the UK was bad, and the banking industry got slammed in a review, but it's a lot better than here.

I did manage to find one, almost fee-free bank, but it's a virtual account, run by effectively a supermarket chain: President's Choice, and you seem to need an existing Canadian bank account before you can open one.