Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Bad karma

Ok, I must have done something bad in a previous life. J has to be back here for the 22nd and was planning on arriving on the Sunday. However, that Sunday is the day I fly out for my conference in Sicily. So she says that she might be able to come up on the Thursday. Cool, I think.

Then my boss tells me there's a chance I may have to go down to Oxford and take some parts for testing. But seriously, this test will take 5 minutes - in fact, I don't even know how they're going to do it since they won't have either end piece. So I decided I'd ask my boss today and see just how vital it is that I go, since Peter might have to go as well. Except my boss is off in Edinburgh in meetings today and tomorrow, and correspondingly pretty much out of contact.

I give up.

If I were superstitious...

...I'd have been freaked out by both of my smoke alarms going off at the same time, despite the fact that there was no smoke in the house, and they're about 10m apart on different floors, so couldn't have been triggered by an aerosol. It's the sort of thing that happens in horror movies when there's a poltergeist or evil spirit around. Anyway, they both mysteriously stopped just when we thought we'd have to trip the mains power (though now thinking about it, maybe their sounders are linked...)