Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Culture Vulture

I was away with the folks in the Lake District over the weekend. The Lakes, as they're known, are a kind of National Park on the west coast of northern England. The meteorologists amongst you may have alarm bells ringing already; lakes, thus probably mountains, and the west coast of Britain can only mean one thing: rain. Oh yes, lots of rain. It pretty much didn't stop all weekend so it resulted in lots of time being spent in art galleries and second-hand bookshops.

This was actually quite cool, I picked up a few books incl. Hemmingway, Scott-Fitzgerald and some random ones about the Templars in Montreal and another about Gandhi. Should kill off a few hours anyway.

We visited 3 or 4 galleries and a few paintings and artists caught my eye. Unfortunately, half of them don't seem to have had the nouse to actually advertise their wares on the internet... seems very odd to me. I mean, surely the great advantage to exhibiting your work is for people to gain awareness of your work - they're not necessarily going to want to buy the few pieces on show. For example, there was one artist called Karl Lindwall who used spray paint and oil on canvas to create some really cool pieces - def aimed at the younger audience ("Before I Go Fishing" used a set of turntables as its central theme, but my parents didn't recognise them!!). However, I can't find hide nor hair of the artist on Google. Not to mention that, but the gallery's website appears to be down as well.


There are a couple of artists whose work I can show you, firstly David Farren who I saw at the Beckstone Art Gallery. I really liked his series on the yellow taxis in New York. Click the picture to see all his work at that gallery.


The other artist is Rob Fraser who is technically a professional photographer and thus would not be expected to be found in an art gallery - but he used a rather novel technique of brushing the developing liquid onto art paper and then developing the photograph on it. This creates a fantastic texture to the images, and is especially effective when photographing stone. Click the thumbnail for a bigger image.