Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Slow Motion

Man, this has been a long week at work. Thankfully we have what is being dubbed a "jamboree" which according to wordreference.com means a "gay activity." Alas fun-seekers, it shall not be; instead every member in our group, of which there about 30, has to stand up and give a 90 second, one-viewgraph presentation as to who we are and what we do. Simply because we have lots of new staff and we tend to be split up in our various activities and don't really know who else is in the group.

But I digress; this week was long because I had to do a lot of thinking. And the thing with thinking is that it is draining, but doesn't take a lot of time. This is not to say that I normally have a no-brainer of a job, but more that I can work on auto-pilot more often. Things like taking test results, verifying designs, following up on orders and that sort of stuff whilst all equally valid, they do not tax the brain too much.

However, we have a problem and I've had to solve it which has meant I've been doing lots of detailed analysis and trying to puzzle out what is going wrong. I've had to refresh my memory on a lot of things and in a sense it felt like I was revising for an exam. Hence, on Tuesday I started work at 8:30 and after a while, thought I needed a bit of a break only to realise it wasn't even 10am!!! That is depressing: you feel like you've done a crapload of work, only to find out it's not even time for a coffee break.

Still, at the end of it all, I think I've worked out the problem... perhaps I should have picked it up earlier on in the design, but you can always chalk it up to experience. Luckily, although our circuit doesn't do what we originally wanted it to do, we don't need to do that to make the system work.