Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Not exactly the best trip home I've ever had

Firstly though, Happy New Year everyone.

Before I begin I should probably comment on the weather patterns of the previous few days in Montreal.
30th: cold, lots of frozen snow but sidewalks clear.
31st: warm, 5C, raining heavily, plus snow melt means lots of surface water and where this was on top of ice, quite slippy.
1st: cold again, all the surface water freezes to from sheet ice everywhere that wasn't heavily used (i.e. main roads).
2nd: frickin' freezing, -20, snow/ice showers, resulting in inch of snow everywhere hiding the ice beneath, absolutely lethal underfoot

So I had a flight booked to leave Montreal at 1940 which would arrive at London Gatwick and 7am. From there I would make my way to Kings Cross train station for my 10am train. Simple enough huh?

Luckily for me when I called her in the morning, a friend very graciously offered to do me the favour of giving me a lift to the airport. By this point it hadn't started snowing. By the time she shows up, driving conditions are to say the least, hazardous and because the house I was staying in is on a cul-de-sac AND at the bottom of a hill, it took us nearly 5 wheel-spinning minutes to turn around!!

There wasn't much of a rush though as I'd checked the airline website in advance and noticed that my flight was already an hour late. However, by the time we'd reached the airport my flight was delayed by 2 hours. By the time I reached the departure gate it was delayed by 3 hours.

When we finally got on the plane, we sat at the gate for another hour as the luggage handlers had forgotten a crate. THEN we had to sit there for another half hour to wait for de-icing. Even then we had to wait for 45 minutes in the line for de-icing. All of which meant that we took off around 5 hours late.

To add to this, my pre-assigned extra-leg-room seat for which I'd paid an upgrade was not available. They'd screwed up the booking - I think they changed planes as everyone in my row had paid the premium as well. Luckily it wasn't a full flight so they were able to relocate most of us, but I had to settle for two seats to my self, which was adequate, but not exactly what I'd paid for.

When we did finally land in London, only one of my bags made it out the other end. So I had to fill in a lost-luggage report. Then due to my tardy arrival I'd missed my booked train meaning my SuperSaver Ticket was no longer valid so I had to pay for an upgrade.

What a cafuffle!