Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Book Club

I don't read anywhere near as much as I should. Despite the fact that I enjoy and find it infinitely more stimulating that watching TV, I just don't seem to do it. This is usually related to the fact that I have very few books lying around that are unread. Thing is though, when you go into a bookstore, where do you begin to look for a good book? How do you know you're going to like it? The choice is just too immense, and books aren't cheap.

The solution is, of course, to join the local library which I have done and I picked up a few books from there the other day. I picked up a fairly random one - it was from a special display focusing on Asian writers, and since I'm quite interested in Japanese culture, I picked the thickest one.

Turns out it was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (the link contains a brief synopsis of the book). I started reading it on Monday at around 2pm - it was a holiday and so I sat in the garden reading it. Despite going back to work yesterday and only being able to read it when I got home, I still managed to have read all 600 pages in 36 hours. I am a fast reader but I surprised even myself with this one!

And while we're on the subject, also look out for Hotel World by Ali Smith (the link goes to a review at Salon.com), a much lighter read but brilliantly crafted, enough to make me turn right back to page 1 after having finished (something I have never wanted to do, nor done since)