Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Monkey on my Back

A slightly delayed monkey this month - movies that make you cry.

Not done that for ages - simply because I've just not seen that many great films recently. OK, not true, but the great films I see tend not to be tear-jerkers. I think the last time I had tears in my eyes in the cinema was when I saw The Hurricane (The true story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a boxer wrongly imprisoned for murder, and the people who aided in his fight to prove his innocence.) I can't quite remember which scene it was, I think it might have been the end where they re-awarded him the Championship Belt, it was just such a relief that after seeing how evil and inhumane people in our society can be, there are still people with enough decency in them to do the right thing.

But I think the last time I truly blubbed was way back in my teens and I watched Glory (Robert Shaw leads the US Civil War's first all-black volunteer company, fighting prejudices of both his own Union army and the Confederates). Hmmm... I can sense a theme here, social injustice and people overcoming prejudice - thinking about it, I always did have a keenly developed sense of justice, I use to hate it if the team were unfair in football, and I always support the underdog. Anyway, back to Glory, I seem to remember a charge on a fort resulting in the death of most of the characters and I don't even think they succeeded. I'm sure at one point they're all pinned down and the commander grabs the flag and charges, thus inspiring his comrades. I think the whole principle of self-sacrifice and committing yourself to a cause also rang true given that at the time I was a geeky awkward teenager full of self-doubt and self-loathing.

Of course, there may be others and I've just blanked them out maybe reading other peoples monkey posts will remind me. :)