Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Under the Weather

Been feeling kinda sick for the past few days - not helped by the fact that I'm surrounded by ill people in my office who spend all day coughing. Bizarrely though, the same thing seems to happen; by the end of the day I have a sore head, no energy and just feel miserable, then I go to bed and I seem to feel much better after having slept - as if I had never felt poorly.

Battle of the Sexes

This of course had an impact on the weekend's frivolities - stayed in on Friday and on Saturday W (flatmate's boyfriend) and R (flatmate's ex-flatmate) came round for a meal. After some food and much wine we decided to play Articulate - a board game that is basically a verbal version of Pictionary. Of course, the girls wanted boys vs girls and we duly obliged - by kicking their asses! It was quite one-sided, though I think having W on my team helped rather a lot. The major problem with a battle of the sexes, especially when there's a couple playing against one another, is that there can be a bit of a build-up of tension and unfortunately we ran out of alchohol, so couldn't grease the rails with that.

A consequence of this was that S (flatmate) challenged W to give up alcohol for Lent - W refused saying that he could, but enjoyed it too much. So then it was changed to remaining within the weekly recommended limits (21 units for a man 15 for a woman) without binging (drinking half the weekly amount in one night). At the point that this was agreed upon there was so much pride and stubborness in the air I thought I'd suffocate. I shall be amused to see the outcome of this.

Pancake Day

And since today is Shrove Tuesday, more commonly known as Pancake Day, I thought I'd leave you with a recipe for pancake (crepe) batter. Personally I don't think you can top lemon juice and sugar, but other suggestions include strawberry jam and cream and banana and chocolate. If you know any others, leave it in the comments.