Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Lucky

Does anyone else in the world think that they're extraordinarily lucky? Not in terms of winning the lottery or their toast always landing butter side up - but more in, for example, every time one door closes another one opens. Maybe it's just me being optimistic, but it's kind of freaky the way things have worked out for me so far.

I guess it shows up most obvious since I left uni - I graduated, and at the time was going out with a Quebecoise girl. So I'm looking for a job somewhere in the East of Canada (not just Montreal) and then it turns out that the university that Steph was going to go to were looking to hire someone to do what I had done my Masters thesis on. Of course, me and Steph didn't work out, but it still allowed me to spend 2 amazing years in one of the coolest cities in the world.

So now, I'm looking for a job again, and while I'd been working, there hadn't really been very many oppurtunities around. Then, in the past month, 2 detector engineer positions (what I guess you could see I am/will be) become available. The first in California, but after the interview not going so well, I kind of write that one off. The next day, another vacancy but in Durham (S. of Newcastle in NE England) this time.

It's a little uncanny. I was also thinking about maybe going to work in the EU, when I get an e-mail for a company suggesting a TEFL course in Spain: Madrid or Barcelona! I'd always wanted to learn Spanish, and certainly the best way is to be in the country that speaks it...

It seems to come down to "Cogito ergo sum" - it's as if this is my own personal world and I can bend it to shape my will - but this is just vanity speaking. Maybe it's karma and I've been shovelling dung for my previous 8 lives or sthg. Of course, it'd be dumb to expect things to work out for me, and maybe it's just cos I believe that if you want sthg enough you can make it happen. Who knows?

Maybe sthg really bad is just around the corner.....