Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Slumming It

Went to the Cock and Bull with Hovig last night, or rather he dragged me there and there were several interesting occurances. The first of which is that I have been single for too long if my radar (all the guys know what I'm talking about) is detecting hot women in the C'n'B!

Secondly, two guys carrying bagpipes enter the bar and after a while decide to hold an impromptu rendition. Unfortunately, they weren't very good, but they were long. The problem was that they weren't playing any sort of a tune (no Scotland the Brave, Flower of Scotland or even Amazing Grace) just some random non-descript vaguely Celtic tune. This can work if you have a fiddle as this can kind of cut through the wail of the pipes. It was not to be however. The rest of the bar didn't seem to mind, some really got into it, but I guess the novelty effect was lost on me.

Thirdly, I had to switch into my relationship guru mode to help Hovig out of a potentially sticky situation. It wasn't a particularly hard one, just a question of compromise and my pointing out that swallowing your pride does not mean changing who you are. I'm getting surprisingly good at this sort of stuff, which given my dating record is maybe a slightly anomalous!