Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Are you sure it's a jazz festival

After playing soccer in the sweltering heat yesterday afternoon, I met up with a few friends downtown and we went to the last night of the Jazz Festival. This is the third time I've been, and generally when I go, we just wander round from stage to stage soaking in the atmosphere and catching quite a few different performers. Only once though have I heard anything that sounds remotely like jazz.

It mostly seems to be an international music festival now, not that this is a bad thing really. Also, this is only with reference to the free, outdoor shows; I think most of the real jazz takes place indoors and I know there were some pretty big names here this year.

Anyway, we went to the Labatt Blue Light stage which is probably about as far from jazz as you're going to get, to see some band cos Ted knew one of they members. They were called Dee and consisted of a singer, a bass guitar player, and a keyboard/guitarist plus occasionally a female singer. Their music was a kind of weird cross between Moby, Chili Peppers, Morcheeba and Euro-pop. They didn't seem to have their own style, and it was very inconsistent. They had some pretty good stuff but also some really bad tracks (the Euro-pop). But it's free so you can't complain too much - it'd be much better to see them in a small intimate club atmosphere where everyone was really into it and jumping around.

Completely randomly whilst I was there I met someone whom I hadn't seen in about a year or so; Marie, one of Dave's friends. I didn't recognise her at first and when I shouted her name I had one of those sudden flashes of 'is that really her name or am I confusing her with someone else?' In the end after a half second of looking at each other, both of us realised who the other was. We didn't talk for long, she was on a "mission for beer" and she seemed to have already been successful several times earlier during the night. Still, it's always nice to bump into people you know unexpectedly - a very rare thing for me in Montreal.