Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Don't quote me on that!

I've been reading The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan in which the famous scientist and astronomer sets out to explain away susperstition and debunk conspiracies and pseduocscience through advocation of science as a purely objective and analytical method of evidence evaluation. I'm about a quarter of the way through and came across this relatively fascinating piece of info about where the expression "Flying Saucer" came from. From a quote by a pilot who observed sthg unusual in the sky who then says he was misquoted:

"These objects more or less fluttered, like they were, oh, I'd say, boats on very rough water... And when I described how they flew, I said that they flew like they take a saucer and throw it across the water. Most of the newspapers misunderstood and misquoted that, too. They said I said that they were saucer-like; I said they flew in a saucer-like fashion."

And yet from the 1950s we have constantly been bombarded with pictures of UFOs as flying saucers - all because of this misrepresentation of the truth. If that isn't the mind leading the eye then I don't know what is.