Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Strangers in the night

It happens all the time. You meet someone, talk to them for a while and then you leave and you never ever expect to see them again. Especially when you're on a train going across Canada. However, last night CBC did a feature on what the war opinion was in St Alban's, a town just across the border. When they showed preview footage (in the 'and later on in the programme...' section) they showed an image of a bar and there he was, the guy I met on the train. At least, maybe he was - it certainly looked like, but the odds of it happening were so remote that my brain was denying me the recognition. I wouldn't say he had a distinctive face, but he certainly had one very distinguishing feature: he had the mother of all moustaches! I mean this was a real paintbrush, except it curved, a fantastic soup-strainer! This means, however, that anyone with a similar moustache and who wore a cap would look the same to me.

So I hung around waiting for the piece, hoping that they would talk to him, cos as soon as he opened his mouth I'd know it was him. He had, how shall we say.... character. Unfortunately he was only ever in the background but I am convinced it was him. The clincher? It wasn't an ordinary bar, it was a veteran's bar. The guy I met on the train was full of colourful stories about what they did to him in Vietnam - most of which were taken with a pinch of salt, but on hearing that the still give speed, uh, I mean, prescription amphetemines, to fighter pilots, I'm more inclined to believe him.

Although, to be honest, if I was told that he was on the news I would have expected the story to have been about him going postal.....

Thinking about it, it's a bit strange. Most people end up working in jobs that match their personality and this guy is a Vietnam vet. He works in security. No big surprise huh? Execpt it's computer security. It's his job to stop hackers breaking into the server! How many people who were alive during the Vietnam war, let alone fought in it, even know how to use Windows!!! Maybe he was just conscripted and was a geek in high school?! Let's face it, fighting in a war is seriosuly going to mess up your outlook on life, but it may not change the way your mind works....