Legal Alien: A Scotsman in Montreal

 
Great Film Alert!

You know how every once in a while a film comes along that is just great, the acting, directing, scripting all comes together to produce a sum greater than the equal of their parts? Well, I found one. I watched Requiem for a Dream last night. It was made by the same director of Pi (another good movie), Darren Aronofsky and was the big screen version of the book of the same name by Hubert Selby Jr.

OK, so I can't be completely unbiased, i really liked the book, and I watched the movie just afterwards so I knew exactly what was going on, who the characters were and what was about to happen. Thus I didn't have any problems understanding their motives or actions. Perhaps a virgin viewer might have troubles, I cannot say. The screenplay itself was written by Aronofsky and Selby Jr, which meant that the directing stayed tightly linked to the screenplay (it wasn't a director's interpretation of, as often happens) and the screenplay itself was tightly linked to the book, there were no added characters, or characters showing up where they shouldn't and then getting themselves killed. ;)

So what's it about? (Slight spolier alert, but it's haradly a mystery what's going to happen) It's basically a depressing-as-hell story that has 2 plot lines, one revolves around 3 characters and their descent into becoming heroin junkies and the other tells the story of a lonely widow who is driven to addiction and ends up in hosptial. Sounds great huh? Well, it is and it isn't. It's not a nice film. But it's one you should watch. Like Black Hawk Down. It doesn't glamorise the subject, unlike say, Trainspotting and it sure as hell packs a punch.

It even contains a sex scene that is vital to the plot, in which Jennifer Connelly (who I've had a crush on since Labyrinth) gets jiggy with it with a lesbian, and there is nothing remotely attractive about it. And that take some doing!

If I had a DVD player I'd buy the DVD, but I don't so I'm gonna burn it onto CD, so if anyone wants to borrow it, drop me a line. But see it.